Announcing the release of Fedora 22 Beta for aarch64 and POWER platforms!

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 13:24:05 UTC 2015

Fedora 22 Beta Release Announcement
===================================

The Fedora 22 Beta release for aarch64 and POWER secondary architecutres
has arrived, with a preview of the latest free and open source technology
under development. Take a peek inside!

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/test/22_Beta/Server/

What is the Beta release?
-------------------------

The Beta release contains all the exciting features of Fedora 22's
editions in a form that anyone can help test. This testing, guided by
the [Fedora QA team](https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA), helps us
target and identify bugs. When these bugs are fixed, we make a Beta
release available. A Beta release is meant to be feature complete and
bears  a very strong resemblance to the third and final release.
The final release of Fedora 22 is expected in May.

We need your help to make Fedora 22 the best release yet, so please take
some time to download and try out the Beta and make sure the things that
are important to you are working. If you find a bug, please report
it – every bug you uncover (and/or help fix!) is a chance to improve
the experience for millions of Fedora users worldwide.

Together, we can make Fedora rock-solid. We have a culture of
coordinating new features and pushing fixes upstream as much as
feasible, and your feedback will help improve not only Fedora but Linux
and free software on the whole.

### Base platform

-   Faster and better dependency management: yum has been replaced with
    dnf as the default package manager. dnf has very similar command
    line options and configuration files compared to yum but also has
    several major internal changes including using libsolv in
    coordination with friends from the openSUSE project for faster and
    better dependency management. dnf-yum provides automatic redirection
    from yum to dnf in the command line for compatibility. The classic
    yum command line tool renamed to yum-deprecated as a transitional
    step for tools still using it.

### Fedora 22 Server

Fedora 22 Server Edition brings several changes that will improve Fedora
for use as a server in your environment.

-   Database Server Role: Fedora 21 introduced rolekit, a daemon for
    Linux systems that provides a stable D-Bus interface to manage
    deployment of server roles. The Fedora 22 release adds onto that
    work with a database server role based on PostgreSQL.

-   Cockpit Updates: The Cockpit Web-based management application has
    been updated to the latest upstream release which adds many new
    features as well as a modular design for adding new functionality.

-   XFS as default filesystem. XFS scales better for servers and can
    handle higher storage capacity and we have made it the default
    filesystem for Fedora 22 server users. Other filesystems including
    ext4 will continue to be supported and the ability to choose them
    have been retained.

Issues and Details
freenode.

As testing progresses, common issues are tracked on the Common F22
Bugs page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F22_bugs

Release Schedule

The full release schedule is available on the Fedora wiki. The current
schedule calls for a final release in the end of May.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/22/Schedule

These dates are subject to change, pending any major bugs or issues
found during the testing process.