[fedora-arm] experimental Fedora 8/ARM repository/filesystems available

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Wed Dec 12 20:54:13 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I have built a set of experimental (!) Fedora 8/ARM root filesystems,
which are currently being uploaded to the /rootfs directory of your
favorite Fedora/ARM mirror.  When the upload process finishes, they
should be available at e.g.:

	http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/arm/fedora/rootfs/

There is an F8/ARM yum repo config file available at:

	http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/arm/fedora/fedora-arm-f8.repo

There are still slightly too many rough edges at this point for me
to be able to recommend FC6/ARM users to switch over to F8/ARM, but
I hope to have an end-user usable F8/ARM out very soon.

One notable addition is the work that Andrew Haley has been doing on
getting gcj (the GNU Java compiler) to work on ARM EABI (thanks!),
which means that we have working gcc-java packages in the F8 repository
now.

Since this enables building a whole set of packages that we couldn't
build before, there is some amount of package building left to be done
to fully make use of this, including some bootstrapping work (i.e.
there are circular dependencies in the initial set of Java packages.)
I _think_ I have the hardest stuff all built[*], but there are still
a couple of bits missing.

In particular, to be able to build/use gcc-java, you need to have
eclipse-ecj installed, which we don't have available in RPM form
yet, as we don't have all eclipse dependencies in RPM form yet.  So,
to be able to use gcc-java and friends, you'll have to copy
/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar over from an i386 or x86_64 Fedora
8 box for now.  This will hopefully also be resolved soon.

cheers,
Lennert

[*] Current set of Java packages in the F8/ARM repository:
	ant, antlr, jakarta-commons-codec, jakarta-commons-collections,
	jakarta-commons-io, jakarta-commons-lang, jakarta-commons-launcher,
	jakarta-commons-pool, java-1.5.0-gcj, java_cup, javacc, jdepend,
	jlex, jline, jrefactory, jsch, jtidy, junit, junit4, jzlib, regexp,
	sinjdoc, wsdl4j, xml-commons-apis, xml-commons-resolver