[fedora-arm] Welcome to the Fedora-ARM mailing list

Manas Saksena msaksena at marvell.com
Fri Jun 22 20:22:37 UTC 2007

Hi and Welcome,

As you can guess, this project is to support Fedora on ARM architecture
and platforms. This email is a short-introduction to the project. You
can find more information at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ARM

Let me first introduce myself. I worry about Embedded Linux,
open-source,
and other related things at Marvell Semiconductors. As some of you know,

we make ARM based processors and system-on-chip solutions, that
increasingly run Linux. This project is initiated/sponsored by Marvell,
but it is intended to be a fully open project under the Fedora umbrella.

The project started when Lennert and I discussed this a few months back.

As many of you know, Lennert has been developing unofficial Fedora ports

for ARM for a while --- a real long while! We started towards an effort
of integrating his ports into the official Fedora project.

A few weeks back, we started talking to Chris Blizzard and some of the
RedHat/Fedora folks, and those discussions resulted in moving towards
an effort to create ARM port as a secondary architecture within the
Fedora project. If all goes well, we would like to have an F8 release
for ARM. And, with that in mind, we have been porting/building the
F8-devel packages, as well as merging any of the diffs for the packages
back into the Fedora CVS.

At this stage, the primary goal of the project is to do a high-quality
release of F8 for ARM. The development effort is being led by Lennert,
and he will be the technical lead. I will continue to provide guidance
and support and help in direction of the project especially during the
initial stages as we try to ramp up.

Thats a long enough introduction. If you know of someone who may be
interested in Linux on ARM, please invite them over.

Regards,
Manas Saksena