[fedora-arm] Re: fedora-arm activity

Tony Egan tony.egan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 17:50:59 UTC 2007

On Nov 17, 2007 12:00 PM,  <fedora-arm-request at redhat.com> wrote:
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:02:08 +0200
> From: "Rabeeh Khoury" <rabeeh at marvell.com>
> Subject: RE: [fedora-arm] activity
> To: "Peter Robinson" <pbrobinson at gmail.com>,    "Manas Saksena"
>         <msaksena at marvell.com>
> Cc: fedora-arm at redhat.com
>
> > This is good news. I was going to ask the same question. There's a lot
> > of SOHO NAS boxes coming out that run on the ARM architecture like the
> > DNS-323 ( http://wiki.dns323.info/ ) that have a reasonable speed
> > processor, some ram/flash etc that would be a good target for a mini
> > fedora distro.
>
> The processor that drives this box is a Marvell SoC 88F5181. There are
> other NAS boxes that are driven by Marvell SoC 88F5182.
> Since the Linux kernel is completely GPLed, you can boot to a small
> firmware like U-Boot and then boot completely off the hard drive.
> Doing that you can start with small Fedora distro and then 'yum install'
> other packages.

FWIW I'm trying to finish up an RFS builder which will hopefully
simplify the task of creating RFSs & initrds for ARM devices. It is
inspired by the livecd work of David Zeuthen and currently uses QEMU
to do most of the work.  I hope to release it here before the end of
the year.  As usual the last 10% of the work is taking 90% of the
time.... :-)

- tony