[fedora-arm] Distributed CC

Rabeeh Khoury rabeeh at marvell.com
Mon Oct 1 11:47:14 UTC 2007

Hi,

Lately I'v tried building boost package in two different methods while
measuring the time it consumes.

The first using Orion-2 system and running completely native build using
the FC-8 RPMs.
The second is using Orion-2 that has distcc client that calls through
fast Ethernet to a Core 2 duo x86 machine that has the FC-8
cross-compiler environment with distcc daemon.

The total build time using the distcc for boost was 5X faster (complete
build with archiving).

The question is can we use this as an addition to Koji build system to
make building from scratch faster?

I know about the efforts to make everything cross-build, but until that
becomes ready the distributed build can be very attractive.

Note that for the build I didn't need to change anything in RPM specs,
or RPM macros and configuration; only installed distcc and changed the
path.

Regards,
Rabeeh