[fedora-arm] Installing rpm packages to rootfs-f8

Rabeeh Khoury rabeeh at marvell.com
Fri May 16 23:43:22 UTC 2008

> Hi,

Hello

> I'm trying to install some rpm packages from

http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/arm/fedora/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8
/E
> verything/arm/os/Packages/ to rootfs-f8 (fedora8 arm).
>
> I'm getting this error:
>
> root at portatile-hp:~/Desktop/arm rpm# rpm -ivh
--root=/root/tmp/f8/rootfs-
> f8 libXau-1.0.3-3.fc8.armv5tel.rpm
> Preparing...
> [100%]
>         package libXau-1.0.3-3.fc8 is intended for a armv5tel
architecture

> Is it possible to install these rpms on a x86 machine?

Those RPMs can be installed on a native ARM machines and are not
intended to be cross installed. So you need a real ARM machine running
Linux to install those RPMs natively or you can emulate ARM machine on
your workstation using QEMU.

Note that the RPMs are built with armv5tejl configuration (ARMv5TE
instruction set for little-endian ARM).

> What's the corret way to add new rpms to rootfs-f8?

I suggest you start reading from -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM?highlight=(arm)

If you don't have real ARM hardware and willing to use the emulation
through QEMU then the following howto is very usefull -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/HowToQemu