[fedora-arm] Minimal Install to get runlevel3 login prompt

Carl Sherratt csherratt at syphan.com
Thu Apr 2 16:24:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am booting via u-boot on an ARM based dev kit over tftp (kernel) and
nfs (fedora-arm) using the minimal rootfs and some additional rpms I
needed for my application.

I can reach RunLevel 1 and can manually get sshd up and running from there.

However, when setting run level to 3 the initialisation stalls after
starting the SSHD service via a uart serial console connection.

This is probably because of missing rpms but which I am not sure? Does
anyone know the minimal install to reach runlevel 3, what should my
chkconfig --list look like?

-bash-3.2# chkconfig --list
messagebus      0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
netconsole      0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
netfs           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
netplugd        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
network         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
rdisc           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
rsyslog         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:off   4:on    5:on    6:off
sshd            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
udev-post       0:off   1:on    2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
-bash-3.2#

Should the minimal root filesystem from :-
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM be enough to reach
runlevel 3?

Should I have more services to be able to switch on for runlevel 3?

For now I am continuing at runlevel 1 and manually starting my sshd
service but will at some point need to resolve my issues regarding
runlevel 3 so
that we have proper user-management etc.

If you can help please respond

Many Thanks
Carl Sherratt.