[fedora-arm] Cross-compiling, building ARM RPMs

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Dec 17 17:23:09 UTC 2009

On 12/17/09 16:36, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

Hi -

> I would like to create a rootfs image with a minimal set of software
> (busybox) for a target ARM device.

If it's ARM11 and you are OK for memory, you can just use Bash.  On an
iMX31 it's fast enough that it's not worth optimizing.

> Given a toolchain for the target hardware, what is the recommended
> method to cross-compile, build RPM packages?

Fedora packages aren't cross-built but done natively on the ARM device.

They provide a "prebuilt filesystem tarball" to get you started made of
unpacked packages

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM#Getting_Started_with_the_Fedora_ARM_Port

> I guess, the cross-toolchain can be packaged separately for x86.

There is a cross-toolchain additionally: I use it for bootloader and
kernel builds.  But it's kind of out of date.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/CrossToolchain

For normal packages, you use the distro gcc natively on the device.

-Andy