[fedora-arm] Fedora on ARM netbooks?

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 03:21:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:42 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Considerations:
>> - soft float. presumably this only affects the kernel and glibc
>> - installation. given livecd-tools and liveusb-creator, this should be
>> doable. Do we already have anaconda?
>> - desktop. The default Fedora desktop probably does not scale down to
>> a 7"-10" widescreen device.
>> - Moblin. how much divergence is there between them and Fedora?
>>
>> Thoughts? With GSoC opening up we could probably get some more
>> resources into this.
>
> I work and Nokia and am a Fedora user, if you have anything
> interesting I could try :)
>
> We try to be as close as possible to linux-omap upstream, but there
> are still some missing pieces AFAIK.

I have a Nokia N810 at hand (OMAP2 / ARMv6); while it's not quite what
Ubuntu and Nokia are targeting (9.04 and Maemo 5 targets ARMv7), it'll
be interesting to see how well Fedora runs on it. I'd have to get a
larger SDHC card, read up on how to boot the device from it (as far as
I remember, not that troublesome), and work out what binary blobs are
needed.

Having a real ARMv7 device would be much better, though. Does Nokia
provide those to developers, and would they lend development boards
(even remote access would be better than nothing) for non-Maemo use?

Regards,

--
miʃel salim  •  http://hircus.jaiku.com/
IUCS         •  msalim at cs.indiana.edu