[fedora-arm] SheevaPlug / Fedora 12

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Sun Dec 19 00:27:47 UTC 2010

On 12/19/2010 12:02 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 12/18/2010 11:37 PM, Andrew Burgess wrote:
>
>> another tack is to change the baudrate in minicom. try 9600 to start,
>> it's common.
>>
>> the theory (i think) is that your kernel reprogrammed the serial
>> port baudrate.
>
> That would imply that the kernel acquired from here:
> http://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/arm/fedora/platforms/sheevaplug/uImage-2.6.30-sheevaplug
>

> does that. Surely, if it does, somebody else would have noticed before me?
>
> I just tried booting the same kernel off tftp and if I do:
>
> setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200
> tftpboot 0x6400000 uimage.bin
> bootm 0x6400000
>
> The same thing happens - the server gets as far as decompressing OK, and
> then the console gets garbaged.
>
> If I don't setenv bootargs with the console setting, the console stays
> silent after the kernel decompresses, which implies that the problem is
> indeed connected to the kernel doing something wrong with the serial
> console settings. Is there an alternative kernel I could try?

Sorry, replying to my own post again.

OK, it's _definitely_ the kernel that is broken. How nobody noticed that
I've no idea, but I just tried this kernel:

http://fedora.danny.cz/arm/kirkwood/2.6.32/uImage-2.6.32.2-kw

and that boots fine. Is it really, and I mean REALLY possible that
nobody else noticed this before? The 2.6.30 kernel I linked earlier is
the one referenced all over the place in all the different writeups and
documentation I've seen. How can it possibly be broken? Is this some
kind of a weird bug triggered by specific hardware? My sheevaplug is
about a week old, so I suppose it is plusible that the latest batch is
somehow subtly different.

Gordan