[fedora-arm] F14 qemu arm default board

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Dec 30 20:43:44 UTC 2010

On 12/30/10 18:26, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

Hi -

> One instance is when I tried to do the mkrootfs-13 on the guruplug
> with the default software (apt-get yum rpmbuild etc) the checksums
> couldn't be verified because the versions of python were different and
> yum couldn't support the sha256 or whatever checksum algorithm. I had
> to set up a VM to do that.

That sounds like the rpm change to xz compression.  That's an unsually
tough nut because pre-F12 rpmlib can't even understand post-F12
packages; normally this would work OK.  IIRC they updated F11 rpm back
at that time so it could cope with xz via fedora-updates yum repo,
enabling a simple upgrade action.  But I am not sure that was ever
cooked for arm fedora.

The quickest solution is uplevel your main rootfs to the f12 tarball and
do it from there with an rpm that understands xz already.

> If you can get performance similar or faster to actual hardware, there
> will be more interest. If it is pretty easy to set up a VM and add it

Last time I looked at ARM qemu on quite a beefy Intel box I saw the same
kind of 10% of ARM11 performance that Chris mentioned.  Qmeu like that
is just not useful for build duty, and real ARMs are getting faster much
quicker than x86 iron is pretending to be an ARM so it never will be
useful either.

-Andy