[fedora-arm] How to get started?

Chris Tyler chris at tylers.info
Wed Jul 14 11:26:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 14:58 +1000, Andrew van der Stock wrote:
> On 13/07/2010, at 11:06 PM, Chris Tyler wrote:

> > - Start fixing up packages that don't build successfully for arm.
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Packages_needing_patching contains a list of 44 packages that we know were patched for the F12 initiative and the patches were not upstreamed -- so the F13 and rawhide packages need to be re-patched and the patches need to be checked in to the Fedora CVS (or the upstream projects). Fortunately, we have the diffs from the previous work. Other packages will be added to this list as we encounter build failures with F13.
>

> Okay. Can you allocate PHP to me and I'll have a shot at patching that
> to build on F13 using the cross-compilation tool chain. Once I've done
> that, is there a procedure to give you a diff or a SRPM, or ...? Are
> the diffs for F12 available publicly?

Andrew,

A few things:

- It's a wiki - you can assign a package to yourself and record your
progress. The first column is linked to the F-12 diffsl the proposed
procedure is there too.

- You'll want to come up to speed on the Fedora packaging process (see
the Fedora wiki starting at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers). Basically, a spec
file + sources fed into rpmbuild yields source and binary RPMS; rpmlint
can be used to check spec file quality; mock performs builds in a
striped-down chroot to verify that build dependencies are accurately
recorded; and koji provides client-server access to a build farm.

- Rather than cross-compile, it's probably easier to use the ARM
emulator (qemu-system-arm) and run rpmbuild and/or mock in there.
Alternately, you can submit scratch builds to the ARM koji system and it
will build the package for you on real hardware.

- We hang out on IRC in #fedora-arm on irc.freenode.net, you're welcome
to join us there.

--
Chris