[fedora-arm] Kernels for common arm devices

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jul 21 18:32:21 UTC 2010

On 07/21/10 19:06, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
> Adam Miller píše v St 21. 07. 2010 v 11:44 -0500:
>> I really like this idea, I think it will make widespread distribution
>> and adoption of Fedora much easier for those interested. What all
>> would need doing in terms of logistics and planning for providing this
>> sort of thing or is it really just a simple "compile different kernel
>> packages"?
>
> building the kernel is only one part (and it can be solved with multiple
> kernel packages built from different configs), but the more tricky part
> is the cooperation with the booloader and boot device ...

What're you thinking about there in terms of "cooperation with the
bootloader and boot device"?

Either the kernel is configured to use a built-in commandline which
isn't very flexible, or those configuration elements are coming from the
bootloader on a kernel commandline.  If it's the latter case, it's out
of scope for a kernel package to change that.

A related issue I found is that the package name "kernel" seems to be
magic.  I tried making my xxx-kernel package Provides: kernel-2.6.blah,
but it wasn't enough.  If it isn't fixed (possibly already, this was in
F12 time), that might get a bit messy with a bunch of
identically-named-and-arched binary packages for the different board
kernels.

-Andy