[fedora-arm] Kernel failing to boot at guruplug

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Thu Jul 22 15:34:59 UTC 2010

On 07/22/10 16:22, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

>     I also did this a while back, it needed meddling in /etc/securetty
>     and at that time /etc/inittab, nowadays it seems you have to meddle
>     with upstart stuff somehow.

> Without that init thingy _nothing_ happened and my guruplug frooze after

The "init= thingy" isn't doing anything itself, you mean with "stock
distro /sbin/init" you don't get anything coming on your serial console.

> freeing kernel memory. Maybe init fails? The bash I get from
> init=/bin/bash only spits a error at when trying to init/telinit by hand.
>
> Any ideas? Anybody flashed a custom kernel and got init working?

On my F12 setup the default init does work fine, just makes the boot
four times slower than my custom init and scripts.

Why don't you hack some

echo "hello" > /dev/ttyxyz0

into

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

and see if it gets that far.

 > To be specific the error msg is init: Unable to send message:
 > Connection refused same for reboot, shutdown, telinit

It's normal, init running as pid 1 is meant to be listening for commands
those guys send to it.  Since you never ran init as pid 1, but
/bin/bash, it ain't there listening.

-Andy