[fedora-arm] Fedora ARM on OLPC

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Tue Jun 8 22:13:30 UTC 2010

Hi Chris, thanks for the quick reply,

   >> * Since Fedora ARM isn't an official release or secondary
   >> architecture yet, is it possible to ship a legal Fedora remix
   >> using its packages?

   > As I understand it, ARM is a recognized SA, so it should be fine
   > to ship a remix based on it.

Oh, cool; I didn't realize it was already an SA.  That's great to hear.

   > The previous ARM build farm was decommissioned, and a new one is
   > being built, with some corresponding team changes. The status
   > right now is that the shipment of new build hardware (a farm of
   > GuruPlugs) was delayed due to a design defect; a revised version
   > of hardware is supposed to be shipped next week. In the interim,
   > there are two builders available.

Would it help if we bought some Sheevaplugs, put them online as koji
builders and gave access to Fedora developers?  That sounds like
something we could do.

Oh, and has anyone experimented to see whether qemu-arm on a fast x86
box with lots of RAM performs faster compiles than a SheevaPlug?

   > Two things would be really helpful:
   >
   > - Point us to a list of packages you are using in your Remix, so
   > we can put priority on those as we triage build failures.

Sure.  Here's the list, we're currently on F11:

http://build.laptop.org/10.2.0/os125/os125.packages.txt

   > - When the time comes (soon!), help get the ARM patches
   > upstream. This includes both packaging patches and source
   > patches.

Okay!  Feel free to ask for specific help on the list or IRC channel
as well.

Thanks,

- Chris.
--