[fedora-arm] Fedora with X-scale processor

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Wed Mar 3 15:32:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 10:11:52AM -0500, Drewitz, Edwin W. (US SSA) wrote:

> I'm a new member. I am working on a program that intends to use a
> rugged PDA and it has to use SELinux. All the PDAs that I have found
> use an X-scale processor; the Marvell PXA270 seems to be the one most
> commonly used. I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer
> or point me in the right direction:
>
> Can Fedora run on an X-scale processor with SELinux enabled?
> Are there special patches required?

As long as you have a kernel that works on your particular device,
the Fedora userspace packages (which are built for ARMv5) should work
just fine.

(Fedora/ARM doesn't supply kernel packages, and even if it would
provide kernel packages for some popular embedded boards (which is
what has been planned for some time now), it likely still wouldn't
support your particular board out of the box.)

To me it seems that most of your porting work will be:
1. getting the kernel running on your device
2. developing a UI to run on the device