[fedora-arm] Prelink progress

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sat Mar 20 10:58:19 UTC 2010

On 03/20/10 10:26, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

> In terms of packages that matter to me, it's only these libs which are
> claimed by prelink to not be compiled with -fPIC.
>
> /usr/lib/libxml++-2.6.so.2
> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6

> Is there something I can do with, eg, objdump to probe the PIC-ness of
> /usr/lib/libxml++-2.6.so.2 that prelink refuses to work with or
> otherwise debug this futher?

Looking at the prelink source for generating the error it uses the
presence of TEXTREL in the .so as indicating it isn't built with -fPIC.

In both libxml++ and libstdc++ cases, those .sos do have a TEXTREL entry
when I look with objdump -x, but as a random sanity check
/usr/lib/libssl.so.8 that doesn't make prelink trouble does NOT have
TEXTREL.

So this doesn't seem to be any prelink issue, the libs are not tagged
right themselves by ld if I understood it as being the
position-independent libs they should be.

Further, I checked libstdc++ and libxml++ on my x86_64 box with the same
objdump test, TEXTREL is absent.

-Andy