[fedora-arm] Kaymap not surviving reboot

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Aug 8 13:18:33 UTC 2011

 On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 13:30:37 -0700, Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com>
 wrote:
> On 08/07/2011 12:21:30 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>
>>  I'm using KDE (at the moment, going to try to get XFCE working
>> soon),
>>  and whatever system-config-keyboard does fixes it, but also
>> whatever
>> it
>>  does isn't surviving a reboot. :-/
>
> sometimes strace and grep open is a quicker way to find things like
> this
> than using the source

 Indeed they do, I figured it out.

 The problem is that system-config-keyboard edits xorg.conf, and does so
 extremely poorly and brokenly. It actually breaks a valid xorg.conf, in
 fact, by creating a ServerLayout section without an Identifier entry.
 But the real problem is that it creates a broken keyboard entry that
 doesn't do anything. Because it loads the keymap at run time, the
 settings go live in the current session, but after re-starting xorg,
 they don't get re-applied because the InputDevice section that
 system-config-keyboard created is broken. Xorg.0.log eventually got me
 looking in the right direction. the main thing that the InputDevice
 section was missing was the

 Option "Device" "/dev/input/event0"

 line. Without it the keyboard entry failed, and on Tegra at least, NVEC
 keyboard would get detected on that device node and started, which would
 default to the US layout every time.

 The solution was to fix the InputDevice entry manually, and use the
 evdev driver. After that NVEC (found via udev it seems) driver gets
 loaded, but it sees that the device is already claimed, so it goes away.

 The net result is the keyboard working with the correct map.

 I'm not entirely sure what against to file this bug report, or even
 where. I'm guessing against system-config-keyboard, but we're not up to
 the point where we can build/test rawhide on Fedora on ARM, are we? My
 experience is that in genereal, the life cycle of fedora is too short
 for the fixes to ever arrive for anything except Rawhide...

 Gordan