[fedora-arm] Newer kernel for Genesi efikamx

William Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 13:41:51 UTC 2011

On 08/06/2011 03:09 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:

> Could you or some other proven packager have a look at Bug 728730? The
> attached (and tested) patch makes it possible to use kernel parameter
> "console=ttymxc,115200" on Freescale i.MX based (EfikaMX like Genesi
> Smarttopp/Smartbook). It would really be cool if this can be included in
> one of the upcoming rootfs images.
>
> Note that the Genesi systems can not run Fedora 14 yet. The currently
> available kernel (2.6.31) does not work with Fedora 14. F14 requires
> kernel 2.6.32 or newer. There is work being done on a kernel update, but
> the result is not stable yet. When Genesi has a stable kernel, they will
> likely post it in their blog at http://blog.efikamx.info/ . I'm also
> trying to keep track of it and will send a message to this list when
> there is a kernel update.
>
> Thanks,
> Niels

Hi Niels,

I have a Genesi Efika mx smartbook and have been trying to get a newer kernel running on it so I can try out Fedora 14 on it when the packages become available. The following blog entry talks about building 2.6.38 kernel:

http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/2011/05/16/linux-2-6-38-on-efika-mx-smartbook/

I have been able to cross compile a kernel and install it, but I haven't been able to boot the machine with the new kernel. I  built and installed a newer version of module-init-tools (3.16) on the machine, but maybe there are other rpms that need to be newer for this to work.

-Will