[fedora-arm] builder io isue

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Dec 26 19:34:16 UTC 2011

El Mon, 26 Dec 2011 18:39:55 +0000
Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> escribió:
> On 12/26/2011 02:51 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > El Sun, 25 Dec 2011 22:43:15 -0800
> > Brendan Conoboy<blc at redhat.com>  escribió:
> >>
> >> I'm not acquainted with the rationale for the decision so perhaps
> >> somebody else can comment.  Beyond the packages that demand a local
> >> filesystem, perhaps there were issues with .nfsXXX files, or some
> >> stability problem not seen when working with a single open file?
> >> Not sure.
> >
> > glibc uses functionality not supported on nfsv3.
>
> That may be so, but it does not appear to be in any way an issue for
> having mock chroot on NFS. It also causes no problems with running on
> NFS root. Can you provide a single relevant example of why this is
> relevant for /var/lib/mock?

* Mon Feb 14 2011 Andreas Schwab <schwab at redhat.com> - 2.13.90-4
- Update from master
  - Update sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sparc/bits/socket.h
  - Synchronize generic bits/sched.h cpu_set_t with Linux implementation
  - Schedule nscd cache pruning more accurately from re-added values
  - Fix passing symbol value to pltexit callbacks when ld.so auditing
  - Fix range error handling in sgetspent
- Revert "Fix ordering of DSO constructors and destructors" (#673014)
- Create debuginfo-common on biarch archs
- Reinstall assembler workaround.
- Replace setuid by file capabilities (#646469)

thats the change that makes it not work,  nfsv3 doesnt support file
capablities. initing a chroot fails. which means you can not use mock
on it.

> > nfsv4 may be a viable
> > option. mock doesnt work right on nfs.
>
> Can you provide an example? I certainly found no problem with it. The
> only issue I had turned out to be caused by the file system that was
> being exported via NFS having a bug that made the sticky directories
> not work properly. Ever since I fixed that it's been working
> beautifully.
rhel6 is too old to hit the issue.

> > i think looking at iscsi or aoe
> > or nbd would help to take out some of the layering thats in play
> > currently. I really think we need to get more spindles in play. all
> > the other arches use raid0 over local scsi/sas drives that are 10k
> > or 15k rpm. and the storage is local.  the only local option we
> > have is to use USB storage. maybe a 16GB usb stick on each may
> > help. they can be gotten for ~USD$16 each we are still going to be
> > limited to the usb bus.
>
> Been there, tried it. Most USB sticks have similar random-write IOPS
> performancs to SD cards (i.e. somewhere between dire and useless).
> The ones that I have found that fare bearably well (i.e. come close
> to a ~ 5000 rpm disk) are _some_ of the ones based on a Kingston
> controller, but with the generic no-name sticks you will have to test
> a large selection of models to find a model that is any good.

I never said it was perfect. just that it may be better that the io
bound bottle neck we have right now.

Dennis