[fedora-arm] 1ghz ARM Laptop (12in 1280x800 LCD)

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Feb 1 22:58:51 UTC 2011

On 02/01/2011 06:17 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>>>   no - and the reason for that is precisely because they DO NOT want
>>> people ringing up even _asking_ for "free" support as they believe it
>>> is a total waste of their time.
>>>
>>>   their primary customers have been companies who are basically
>>> incompetent at software development, and expect to be spoon-fed full
>>> solutions, or they will go elsewhere.  so creativelabs have developed
>>> ready-made (proprietary) OpenGL and MPEG proprietary libraries, and
>>> that keeps these drone-clone companies happy.
>>
>> I'd say forget it. This will come to rear it's ugly head as soon as a new
>> version of Xorg is released and the drivers stop working.
>
>   tell me about it.  it's why i will be speaking to ziilabs to obtain
> details of the Cell's assembly language etc.  i have to come up with a
> convincing and reassuring strategy as to why they should do exactly
> that.

You should also consider that getting FSF drivers for this is of very
limited usefulness. This DSP is very proprietary. It would be far more
valuable (if more difficult) to get the PowerVR drivers as that would
cover the majority of ARM based SoC modules. I don't think it'd be worth
the effort, especially for a CPU (A8) that is already on the verge of
deprecation.

Gordan