[fedora-arm] 1ghz ARM Laptop (12in 1280x800 LCD)

Misha Shnurapet shnurapet at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 2 06:09:12 UTC 2011

01.02.2011, 21:33, "Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton" <luke.leighton at gmail.com>:
>  but, yeah, the aim is to fulfil the largest number of peoples' needs
> first (weight of numbers) and then branch out from there.

Hi, Luke.

Thank you for the proposal and none the less interesting discussion. It's people like you who actually "get us there" at end, and it's good to know that possible ways are being searched for.

Unfortunately, I'm not a hardware hacker. But, as a consumer, I'd say that a "1gb NAND Flash" is quite a bit below the level. I also wouldn't care much about a 1280x720 screen if the hardware wouldn't be capable of playing the video flawlessly. Or, if there was an HDMI port to connect to TV, which is, in my taste, better suited for watching.

The gorgeously-looking Efika MX would fit me almost perfectly if not the soon-deprecating A8 CPU and the plans for a dual-core solution with faster RAM. Plus, taking in mind the early stage of software on ARM and its stability issues and rather a development taste of the hardware, 350 bucks seems above the decent price when you see a 299 competitor on Atom which is, yes, only a 2-hours-on-battery runner that heats like a stove, but hell, it has 1 gig of RAM, a 160 gigs hard drive and takes $my_favorite_distro on-board.

--
Best regards,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Shnurapet