[fedora-arm] 1ghz ARM Laptop (12in 1280x800 LCD)

Bernhard Schuster schuster.bernhard at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 2 16:30:25 UTC 2011

2011/2/2 Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
> This is exactly where you will get if you're trying to massage the
> Tegra2, MX53, OMAP4 into a high end laptop; it will not meet your
> expectations. They are not designed for those environments. Tegra and
> OMAP4 are phone/tablet chips almost entirely focused on Android. MX53
> is for in-flight entertainment, Ford Sync, handheld media tablets,
> that kind of thing. Remember when you think about speeds on devices,
> they are always listed as maximums. Yes, SATA-II is 3Gbit/s (actually
> about 2.4Gbit after you get past the 10-8 encoding) but does a device
> need to run at that? Not at all. USB 480Mbit/s? Nope.
>
> You can't design a system, keep it cheap and make it a volume seller
> by just picking the chips with the biggest numbers.

The trick is, pick one component and select all other components as cheap as
possible, but still not bottlenecking the whole system. I got rather small
experience in System design, but if you intend to do so, get some
money-monkey keeping an eye on the BOM and timeline.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards

Bernhard Schuster