[fedora-arm] 1ghz ARM Laptop (12in 1280x800 LCD)

omalleys at msu.edu omalleys at msu.edu
Thu Feb 3 18:50:40 UTC 2011

Quoting Chris Tyler <chris at tylers.info>:

> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 10:14 -0500, omalleys at msu.edu wrote:
>> couple it with the A15 quad's
>
> I think A15 Quads are quite a ways off -- I've heard it said a numbher
> of times that when ARM announces something, they're talking about
> designs (which their partners then build), unlike AMD or Intel who make
> announcements much closer to the time the silicon will ship. An ARM
> design announcement is more like an AMD/Intel roadmap announcement in
> terms of time-to-availability.

Im not totally disagreeing, but I don't think there is a whole lot of
difference between the A15's and the A9's though, after you add the A9
bugfixes. They have 4 processors instead of two, shrink the die, and
make the chip so you can up the voltage on it (ie 1.5Mhz for low power
cell phones, 2.5Mhz for workstations/servers) and add the ability to
use both ddr3 lowE and regular sdram.(ddr3 ecc?)

They were talking about starting to ship about a year or so behind the
A9's which are pretty much on time.