[fedora-arm] ARM Laptop : 14'' Nufront Newton (was RE: 1ghz ARM Laptop (12in 1280x800 LCD))

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Wed Feb 9 10:43:10 UTC 2011

Guillaume FORTAINE wrote:

> But to come back to the "1ghz ARM Laptop" topic :
>
> -12in 1280x800
>
> a) You have already 10.1in screens with 1280x720 resolution support [0]

You either haven't looked very hard or you haven't been paying as much
attention as you thought you were. Efika MX can take a 1280x720 screen.
I shot down the screen resolution part of the argument in my first retort.

> b) You even have 10.1in screens with 1366x768 resolution support [1]

That is the 2nd time you are referencing an Atom netboook with a 25W+
power draw on a thread about ARM netbooks which draw about 5-6W. You
really need to stop comparing apples and oranges.

There are also a grand total of three netbooks from 2 manufacturers
sporting that 10.1" screen with 1366x768 resolution - The
netbook-transforms-to-very-thick-pad Dell you mention, Dell Mini 1012
and the Asus 1005PR. It isn't all that common, and the TFT panel in
question is actually quite radically different to most commonly used
panels in terms of shape and fittings. It will not fit into other
netbook chassies.

> -1Ghz ARM Laptop
>
> As previously mentioned by Forum Blogarm.net, there is Nufront [2]
> with their NuSmart 2816 SoC (2x2Ghz Cortex A9, Data Brief in English) [3].
> And, if your are lazy, like me, you will directly buy a 14'' Nufront
> Newton [4] (Rock Yang, yuxin.yang at nufront.com, VP Marketing) [5].

No mention of screen resolution on the end product, other than the
mention of the chip's maximum being 1400x900 over LVDS. That is 16:10
aspect, which is already getting difficult to source, and most of those
are unavailable LED backlit, so aren't suitable for low-power laptops.
My guess is it won't be available in < 1280x720, which is too low for me
on a 14in panel. The laptop is also not mentioned on their website, so
I'll believe it when I see it. It may turn out to be an even lazier
option than you think - it may involve getting nothing at all.

Gordan