[fedora-arm] missing kernel rpm causing troubles

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Feb 28 12:17:48 UTC 2011

Dan Horák wrote:
> Looks like the missing kernel rpm is starting to cause troubles. I'm
> using common kernel and initramfs to provide support for the Kirkwood
> based devices like Sheevaplug or the QNAPs and thus need dracut to
> create the initramfs. And installing dracut now fails with
>
> [root at fedora-arm ~]# LANG=C yum install dracut
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package libdrm.armv5tel 0:2.4.20-1.fc13 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: kernel >= 2.6.29.1-52.fc11 for package:
> libdrm-2.4.20-1.fc13.armv5tel
> ---> Package sgpio.armv5tel 0:1.2.0.10-4.fc12 set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> Error: Package: libdrm-2.4.20-1.fc13.armv5tel (fedora)
>            Requires: kernel >= 2.6.29.1-52.fc11
>
> So the options are - prepare a real kernel rpm (even when it shouldn't
> be much useful), prepare a fake kernel package (containing Provides:
> kernel=V-R only) or something else.
>
> And I've chosen the fake the kernel method for now, see attachments.

I can see the fake dependency method is more generic, which is a good thing.

Standard kernels and bootloaders are something that will need to be
looked at sooner or later, though. It might be an idea to start looking
at what standard supported options might include. The most popular ones
I can think of are (in no particular order):

SheevaPlugs (uboot, kirkwood)
BeagleBoard/PandaBoard (uboot, OMAP)
Genesi (uboot, Freescale)

Further down the list is the Toshiba AC100, which has semi-working uboot
support, but uboot has no keyboard support for nvec attached keyboards,
and it is Tegra2 based. The current way of booting them involves
packaging up the kernel and initrd into a bootable partition image.

The only other platforms I can think of that somebody might want to run
Fedora on are Compulab's ATX ARM board (Marvell based), and their
TrimSlice micro desktop machine based on the Tegra2. Haven't used either
of them yet, so don't know where they stand on uboot.

Depending on how many popular platforms I've missed, this may not be an
unreasonable number to have custom kernels for.

Gordan