[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jan 7 16:55:36 UTC 2011

On 01/07/11 16:52, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

>>> I wrote about the alignment issue here on ARM:
>>>
>>> http://warmcat.com/_wp/2007/05/25/the-alignment-monster/
>>
>> Aha, I know what you are talking about now, and I am aware of such
>> issues. Here is a similar article a friend of mine wrote:
>>
>> http://www.altechnative.net/?p=48

No, it's not the same issue.

On x86 as described on your link, it's just a performance penalty if
your members are not aligned.  On ARM without fixup, you read actual
garbage as described on my article.

> Does changing the /proc/cpu/alignment setting from 0 (ignored) to 2
> (fixup) come with a noticeable performance penalty?

Yeah it is expensive.  Something else is up, probably with your kernel,
that you have so many userland alignment faults at all.

As you saw, I don't have any.

-Andy