[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Fri Jan 7 17:25:01 UTC 2011

On 01/07/11 17:17, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

>> No, it's not the same issue.
>>
>> On x86 as described on your link, it's just a performance penalty if
>> your members are not aligned.  On ARM without fixup, you read actual
>> garbage as described on my article.
>
> Yup, I was more referring to the data not aligning when unioning

That's nothing to do with this issue.

With this issue, a correct structure in a typedef or a struct with
correct alignment padding turns to crap because the structure pointed to
is not on a u32 boundary for example.

> What kernel are you using? As you may have inferred, I use 2.6.36.2 with

Currently 2.6.34 on my side but I doubt it is relevant.

> the vserver patches. Do you know what configuration options on the
> kernel could be causing problems like this? Optimize for size, perhaps?

Doubt it.

> And these alignment error counters (I'm assuming that is what those
> large numbers in /proc/cpu/alignment are) - do they implicitly mean
> actual calculation errors? Or are they generally harmless? I ask because

They're not harmless if you don't fix them up and you're going to use
the misaligned data for something: the data is corrupted.  If you read
the data and didn't do anything important with it then you won't see any
problem.

What gcc did you cook your kernel with?

-Andy