[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Jan 7 20:12:41 UTC 2011

On 01/07/2011 06:45 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

>>> And these alignment error counters (I'm assuming that is what those
>>> large numbers in /proc/cpu/alignment are) - do they implicitly mean
>>> actual calculation errors? Or are they generally harmless? I ask because
>>
>> They're not harmless if you don't fix them up and you're going to use
>> the misaligned data for something: the data is corrupted. If you read
>> the data and didn't do anything important with it then you won't see any
>> problem.
>>
>> What gcc did you cook your kernel with?
>
> The F12 repository kernel. I am currently building a new one (needed a
> few extra options) with the F13 gcc and bintools.
>
> But all these errors appear to be under User rather than System, so is
> it really the kernel? Since over the past hour of kernel recompiling the
> counters haven't increased at all, my guess is that it all happened last
> night when I was building/testing dietlibc stuff. I'll test that
> hypothesis when the new kernel is built.

Update:
Building the kernel produced no further alignment errors. The machine,
however, just after boot:

#cat /proc/cpu/alignment
                          Fri Jan  7 20:08:51 2011

User:           24
System:         1
Skipped:        0
Half:           0
Word:           0
DWord:          1
Multi:          0
User faults:    0 (ignored)

So something in the startup is still broken. Will test dietlibc build next.

Gordan