[fedora-arm] Broken sha512sum in coreutils

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Jan 7 21:25:56 UTC 2011

On 01/07/2011 08:27 PM, Andy Green wrote:

>>> Fine but what has happened with your sha512sum then?
>>
>> That didn't cause thousands of errors, only a handful - it wasn't being
>> used much. The only thing I can think if that could have produced that
>
> So both sha512sum binaries are giving correct results now or what?

No. The broken one is still broken if I disable alignment fix-ups.

>> may alignment errors (and segfaults to go with them, as it happens) was
>> what I was doing with dietlibc.
>>
>>> Is it the case that
>>> somehow the shared libc in memory is the dietlibc one? Maybe if you
>>> reboot without touching anything that touches dietlibc you won't see
>>> this issue again and the whole thing is a painful lesson to leave
>>> dietlibc the hell alone ^^
>>
>> I don't really see how. As I said, dietlibc is long uninstalled and the
>> boot-up still trips this 24+1 times. I think the coreutils bug was a
>> separate one. Now I just need to find what is causing the remaining few
>> alignment issues.
>
> What you should do about that is set
>
> alignment=3
>
> on your kernel commandline. That'll then be the default reaction to the
> alignment fault and it should give some logging about who is the process
> with the alignment faults.

Ooo, thanks for that. :)
I've attached the dmesg output.

All the errors on boot seem to be coming from
/lib/udev/devkit-disks-part-id.

# rpm -qf /lib/udev/devkit-disks-part-id
DeviceKit-disks-009-3.fc12.armv5tel

yum updating this  (and the 13 dependencies it has) from the F13
repository doesn't make the problem go away. :(

Thankfully, though, nothing on the Sheeva uses this. I'll try rebuilding
the latest version of DeviceKit from source and see if that makes the
problem go away.

Gordan