[fedora-arm] uImage-2.6.30 / updating kernels / /etc/kernel-update.d

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Sun Jan 9 16:44:19 UTC 2011

On 01/09/11 16:07, Somebody in the thread at some point said:

>> What'd solve this really nicely is a /etc/kernel-update.d/ which has a
>> bunch of scripts that try to match based on /proc/cpuinfo.  For example
>> on the board I am working on right now, it says in there
>
> I believe the utils that the x86 kernels use already have the ability
> to do something like that so it shouldn't be too hard to extend those
> utils to be able to update particular files based on arch/machine like
> OFW (XO-1.75 will be arm but with openfirmware for eg), uboot, uEFI
> etc.

Sounds cool.  Hopefully one way or another whatever storage or
filesystem is used for the kernel by the bootloader can always be made
reachable by a Linux mtd or other block device and it'll work out
cleanly scriptable without losing flexibility or filling up the kernel
spec file with specifics.

-Andy