[fedora-arm] New Packages and Policy Questions

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Jan 13 11:38:53 UTC 2011

Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:
>> I have a question on policies of how and whether Fedora-ARM patches are
>> rolled back into rawhide. The reason I ask is because I see overlap
>> between the required ARM specific patches between F11 and F12. What is
>> the policy for rolling these patches back into upstream and (more
>> importantly in case upstream is slow/reluctant to accept them) rawhide?
>
> In a lot of cases the people dealing with the issues have the ability
> to commit the fixes themselves so as to be able to push them directly
> upstream where necessary.

Is there a formal procedure for that? My concern is that this process
doesn't seem to work out in a timely and positive fashion in a
significant number of cases (otherwise we wouldn't have that big a
required patch overlap between Fedora releases on ARM).

>> Also, what is the policy on new packages? Specifically, I found myself
>> in need of openssl098k compatibility package (need to run some binaries
>> from F11). This is pretty trivial to come up with (change the package
>> name from openssl-0.9.8k to openssl098k-0.9.8k in the spec file and
>> re-tar the openssl tar ball to extract to openssl098k-0.9.8k directory
>> instead of openssl-0.9.8k directory), but what I wanted to ask if
>> whether there is some kind of a policy for including things like this in
>> the main distro. It is likely that this would be useful to other people
>> who are less willing/able to roll their own packages.
>
> The policy on new packages is that they have to be in upstream Fedora.

How does one get a package into upstream Fedora?

Gordan