[fedora-arm] New Packages and Policy Questions

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Jan 17 10:45:24 UTC 2011

Andy Green wrote:
 > On 01/13/11 21:45, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
 >
 >> The package in question won't compile at all on F13, it seems:
 >>
 >> # rpmbuild --rebuild xorg-x11-server-1.6.1.901-1.fc11.src.rpm
 >
 > I don't know what the actual problem is from the error, but are all the
 > dependencies in that filesystem also f11-vintage?  If everything else
 > down /usr/include is f13-vintage, it's quite possible f11 sources or
 > spec might choke on considerably newer dependent includes.

Most of the system is the F13 rawhide. It's yum updated from the F12
release since an awful lot in the F13 alpha is still missing or broken
(e.g. firefox). So there are still a number of F12 vintage packages that
aren't in the koji repository yet.

Interestingly, F11 libxinerama packages that contain the headers where
the compile breaks don't even include those header files.

 > What're you trying to achieve by recooking f11 xorg server on f13? Maybe
 > there's a different way to come at your overall goal.

I very much doubt it. The machine I'm working on is a Toshiba AC100. The
only kernel available for it with working keyboard/mouse support is
2.6.29 provided by Toshiba as part of the open source code they wrote
for Android (the machine comes pre-loaded with Android). Unfortunately,
Toshiba have in their infinite wisdom decided to put the keyboard and
mouse behind proprietary interfaces, rather than USB HID (the machine
does have full featured master and slave USB, which makes the decision
particularly retarded). The drivers haven't yet been ported to later
kernels.

Further, the only way to eccelerated graphics on it is using the nvidia
closed source tegra xorg driver. Since only 2.6.29 kernel works, only
the tegra driver that is compatible with the interface of the kernel
module for 2.6.29 works. That driver is sufficiently old that it is
based on the xorg ABI from version 1.6.x, i.e. of the F11 vintage.

That means that the only way to get accelerated drivers is using the
2.6.29 kernel and Xorg 1.6. Xorg binaries from F11 require libssl.so.8
which means openssl 0.9.8k. F11 xorg src.rpm won't build on F12/F13, as
explained earlier. I put just the three libraries it depends on in the
relevant places, and that works fine, but by far the easiest way to
solve this problem would be using an openssl098k compatibility package.

Gordan