[fedora-arm] Trying to run Fedora-ARM as a virtual machine

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Sat Jan 29 17:05:49 UTC 2011

Hi there!

I'm looking into getting an ARM system as small home-server. Of course
I'd like to run Fedora on it, but unfortunately it seems that current
Fedora releases are not completely ready for this yet.

I'd like to help with this, and as a start I am trying to get a fully
functioning VM up and running. Obviously there are issues to overcome
with this too. Many thanks for documenting the issues in the wiki!
Before I decide to buy myself a Pandaboard or similar, I'd like to get
some more experience with Fedora on ARM. My first personal project
will be getting libvirt work with ARM out of the box. I hope that this
attracts some more interested parties and lowers the barrier for
contributions.

While I am checking the details of qemu and libvirt, I am wondering if
there is a kernel available that has virtio support. If not, I will
need to compile my own kernel, which feels a little silly.
https://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org does only seem to have one kernel
package available, and that is kernel-headers which I hardly can use
for booting. I am wondering if there are any scratch-builds available
that have a functioning vmlinz.

Furthermore I'd like to know what the best way is to follow the status
of the current ARM builds, and where to find out where help is most
needed?

Many thanks,
Niels