[fedora-arm] Trying to run Fedora-ARM as a virtual machine

omalleys at msu.edu omalleys at msu.edu
Mon Jan 31 13:44:09 UTC 2011

Quoting Niels de Vos <devos at fedoraproject.org>:

> While I am checking the details of qemu and libvirt, I am wondering if
> there is a kernel available that has virtio support.

I tried to get this working a couple of months ago, there are patches
related to it submitted and some of them have made it into the
mainline kernel. Im not sure if all of them have at this point or not.
(I didnt get it to work with the submitted patches so i was just going
to wait.  :) ) I haven't tried recently. It is probably time to try
again.

Libvirt handles arm natively.. if you go through the whole machine
setup in libvirt, I think it is the last step, select qemu instead of
kvm, then arm will show up as an option for archtype now.  :) However
it doesn't work with the rootfs-12 because of the options to qemu,
that showed up in the script.

> If not, I will
> need to compile my own kernel, which feels a little silly.
> https://arm.koji.fedoraproject.org does only seem to have one kernel
> package available, and that is kernel-headers which I hardly can use
> for booting. I am wondering if there are any scratch-builds available
> that have a functioning vmlinz.

There are directions on how to rebuild the kernel for qemu.. :)
They work.

If you want to try the alpha 13 release, you probably have to copy the
/dev dir out of the old root-fs and move it to the new one.