[fedora-arm] RPM available in the rootfs

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Sat Jul 2 17:59:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-02 at 05:15 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 18:47 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > Thanks to the hard work of many people (including Stefan's contribution
> > this morning to get some of the final nss bits and RPM in place, and of
> > course the groundwork put in place by DJ Delorie), we are now very close
> > to having rpm and rpmbuild. I fixed a problem with digest support
> > earlier, we're just waiting on fixing the RPM macros/teaching RPM about
> > armv7hl vs. armv7l, etc. in patches Dennis already has and will send me.
> >
> > I'm hoping to get the remaining bits in place so that tomorrow's VFAD
> > can be spent building actual RPMs. We'll need to start by rebuilding
> > what we have but in real RPM format, then work toward slowly getting a
> > buildroot that we can use to rebuild everything again, and finally do
> > one more build to have a full featured build environment. It would be
> > awesome to get to a point tomorrow where we've got an armv7hl binutils
> > binary RPM and its deps at least, with anything else being a bonus.
>
> Just as a head's up. I've changed the default build for all v7 systems
> such that we'll target armv7hl, unless it's otherwise set at build. I
> committed the change to redhat-rpm-config, and pushed up to F15.

Since this came up on IRC, and I need to run, let me note:

Note. I changed this for a *very specific reason*. Without this, and if
you don't have /proc explicitly mounted, RPM will default to armv5tel.
Since (at least for now), we have no business building armv5tel on armv7
systems, it's better to make sure nobody is building armv5tel.

(trust me, I was up until 8am this morning making sure our chroot does
the right thing out of the box if you just clone it and go - so please
*don't* arbitrarily change that macro patch or revert it. It's not
"wrong". It's quite right, it's deliberate, and it's helpful).

Thanks,

Jon.