[fedora-arm] armv7hl packages and repo

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Mon Jul 4 07:33:29 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 03:12 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 18:59 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > There are currently 81 RPMs for armv7hl at the following location:
> >
> > http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/armv7hl/
> >
> > I'll sync up more as we go...on the way to a buildroot!
>
> There are now 98 packages! Ok, so a few too many changes in one commit
> and I'll attempt to avoid that going forward. But we're near 100
> packages now (a large chunk of these are due to work from Dennis
> yesterday). If we count noarch packages, we're well over 100.

Each package is built, then installed into the rootfs, with a copy
in /stage3. Yea, it adds some size, but it's not insane. And we're
mostly continuing this until we have python, and then the deps for yum,
mock, and koji. After that, we don't need the rootfs any more (after we
rebuild all of these packages once with themselves as base).

So if anyone wants to do something useful to help, we need python built.
To do that, we need to satisfy some deps. That might include things like
tk (which needs python indirectly), unless it turns out we can get away
without it. I haven't looked enough yet. But I think we need to
seriously have some of us consider ways of using python to build python
in addition to reducing these deps down by building from source with a
minimal config sufficient to bootstrap the deps and rebuild python.

Jon.