[fedora-arm] Fedora 13 ARM RC1 - Breathing new life into EOL

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 11:57:11 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Niels de Vos <devos at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 10:32:30PM +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> > On 30/06/11 20:43, Paul Whalen wrote:
> > > We are pleased to offer a new and perhaps final release of Fedora 13
> ARM. If your upgrading from beta3, run a yum update and you will pull in a
> new fedora-release package that will include the new key for RC1 as well as
> new repository files. You will need to do some small house keeping in order
> to use the new repo:
> > > mv /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo.rpmnew /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo
> > >
> > > You may also need to run:
> > > yum clean all
> > >
> > > The RC1 repository has been rsync’d to the mirrors to improve bandwidth
> and take some of the load off the ARM Koji hub.
> > > For those who would like to start fresh, the RC1 root filesystem is
> available at:
> > >
> http://scotland.proximity.on.ca/fedora-arm/rootfs/f13-rc1/rootfs-f13-rc1-2011-06-29.tar.bz2
> > >
> > > Packages are currently building for the f13-updates repository and it
> should come online next week. It will also be rsync’d to the mirrors and
> will be updated as packages are built successfully. If you would like to
> read more about the new tool being used to build updates you can visit Jon
> Chiappetta’s
> > > blog (
> http://fossjon.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/finally-getting-to-really-test-styrene/)
> for details.
> > > If you would like to provide feedback on the release, have questions on
> usage or comments, please feel free to drop by #fedora-arm on Freenode, or
> to the Fedora ARM Mailing list – arm at lists.fedoraproject.org.
> >
> > I have a number of packages that make OpenJDK work.  Unfortunately, I
> > still don't know who to send them to.
>
> This is something that remains unclear to me as well. How do the fixes
> needed to build the updates (or the original f13 packages) get included?
> Can the patches be included in the fedora packages (git) repository,
> even when f13 is EOL?

Generally no. The patches should be pushed upstream into rawhide/F-15/F14
and koji admins can build patched rpms for the F-13 release if necessary. My
understanding is that the ARM F-13 release is basically being marked as done
and development in terms of package fixes and builds should be aimed at F-14
and later now.