[fedora-arm] Bootstrapping python

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 09:09:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 08:45 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Monday, July 04, 2011 11:40:21 PM Jon Masters wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-07-04 at 03:40 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> > > I'm interested in collectively helping to solve the python bootstrap,
> > > since it might take some effort, and it doesn't need to all be your
> > > burden to solve. Therefore, can you let us know what you're doing so
> > > far, what your suggested tack is, and so on. We can figure out who
> > > should help build packages, or we can help with patches, etc.
> >
> > Dennis says he has a minimal build. Hopefully, he can reply to document
> > what (if anything) beyond minimal config he did to get it to build. If
> > we can get this build asap, we can build more packages later today,
> > including the deps for python so that we can rebuild it fully, and then
> > have mock, and yum, and koji before Wednesday ;)
> >
> > Jon.
> what i did was
> rpm -ivh python-src.rpm
> rpmbuild -bp path/to/python.spec
> cd /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/Python-2.7.1/
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --without-dtrace --with-system-expat --with-system-ffi
> --enable-shared
>
> i think had to remove some references to dtrace in the Makefile and i commented
> out in Modules/Setup the bits for tkinter
> i then did a make -j2
>

> you will need to make sure you have the expat and libffi rpms installed

The resultant python binary generates a library warning (note also the
hard-coded lib64 locations being used by python anyway):

Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Jul  8 2011, 08:17:56)
>>> import sys; sys.path
['', '/usr/lib64/python27.zip', '/usr/lib64/python2.7',
'/usr/lib64/python2.7/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-tk',
'/usr/lib64/python2.7/lib-old', '/usr/lib64/lib-dynload',
'/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages',
'/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages']

It seems to work for minimal math functions, etc. though and the
libraries do seem to be there. I know Yum uses the rpm native library to
do various things, and that currently generates this:

bash-4.2# yum
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   No module named rpm

However, I feel I just made a relatively trivial mistake, and it's late,
so perhaps you'll help me straighten this out so we can get it into
place and have people building python stuff. I'll commit my bits onto
armv7hl-jcm, but not to armv7hl. Perhaps you can help fix?

Jon.