[fedora-arm] Fedora 15 ARM hardfp Virtual FAD (Fedora Activity Day) - FRIDAY

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Sun Jul 10 03:45:33 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 00:52 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:

> We are hosting another one of our regular Fedora 15 hardfp Virtual
> Fedora Activity Day today Friday July 8th, at 14:00UTC (10:00 Eastern
> Daylight Time). The purpose of this session is to co-ordinate the
> bootstrap of F15 hardfp (hardware floating point). Going forward, the
> proposal is that these remain on Fridays, and at the same time.

As a followup, we now have a working yum installation. Next week, we
will be working on support for mock. Once we have these, we can build up
missing dependencies, then rebuild everything we have with rpmbuild. At
that point, we can rebuild everything within mock and Koji-fyificate.

It's becoming clear that several points do need raising with FESCo:
	* Fedora should (IMO) institute mandatory mass rebuilds. Either every
cycle, or every other cycle. I've briefly discussed with Dennis.
Bootstrapping (and similar activities) are far easier with a clean set
of deps, which is the case for F15. It should always be the case that we
know everything builds and self-hosts through a mass rebuild per cycle.
	* Fedora would benefit from an explicit position on the dependency
explosion we're seeing in basic packages. Without going off too far into
my personal opinions on a need to respect UNIX heritage, etc. I will say
that the explosion of requirements is going to be a problem for any
future efforts and will get worse without guidance.

Meanwhile, enjoy working yum. Next week, working mock, hopefully.

Thanks,

Jon.