[fedora-arm] Advice for tablets to run Fedora ARM on?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 13:44:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Niels de Vos <devos at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for advise on some tablets that are likely able to run
> Fedora ARM. There seems to be some some interest in making a Fedora
> ARM for Tablets installation/rootfs. Any ideas on which devices are
> suitable would be much appreciated.
>
> It would be nice if the drivers are all provided upstream, if not,
> that should not be a huge issue either, as long as the drivers a are
> open source. Hardware modifications (even breaking and bricking) in
> order to attach debuggers seem to trigger interest as well ;-)
>
> I guess that OMAP tablets will be usable, but what models can be advised?
>
> Many thanks to anyone with advise or ideas! Cheers,

Personally I'm awaiting the Archos G9 devices [1] to hit (September I think)
as they have dual core Omap chips but also have the following useful bits:
- Option of a HDD
- Proper A usb2 port
- Mini HDMI port (so no need for an expensive dock)
- Wifi/BT/GPS

And they look to be a reasonable price.

The Toshiba Thrive looks to be of similar specs/prices but with a NV Tegra 2
chip.

Peter

[1] http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Archos-G9-101-and-80/