[fedora-arm] Is a recent arm cross compiler available?

William Cohen wcohen at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 14:32:34 UTC 2011

On 07/14/2011 10:20 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Thursday, July 14, 2011 09:15:19 AM William Cohen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have an Efika MX smartbook running the Fedora 13 images on
>> http://ausil.us/smartbook/. I would like to build kernels using a cross
>> compiler as described on
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/CrossToolchain because the
>> workstation is much faster than the 800MHz arm in the smartbook. However,
>> the cross compiler suggested
>> (http://mirrorlist.fedora-arm.wantstofly.org/?repo=cross&arch=x86_64) is
>> relative old (April 2008) and does not understand the the
>> "-mcpu=cortex-a8" option required to build the newer kernel. Is there a
>> newer cross compiler packages somewhere?
>
> What kernel are you trying to build?  there is a slightly newer kernel
> available that fully supports the efika but nothing newer than a 2.6.31 based
> kernel.
>
> Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I am trying to build a kernel from git://gitorious.org/efikamx/linux-kernel.git. The "newer" might have been misleading; the main reason I am doing this is because I am working with systemtap that needs some addition build kernel tree and debuginfo to build instrumentation modules, like what is described in http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap .

If was possible to make this an rpm like the omap one mentioned in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/Fedora_ARM_Kernels, that would be great.

-Will