[fedora-arm] [F15] NFS boot [howto]

Zoran Pericic zpericic at netst.org
Sat Jul 30 18:18:08 UTC 2011

On 30.07.2011 19:35, Niels de Vos wrote:
> Maybe it is nice to have this in the wiki? There are some How-Tos
> already:
> - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM
That would be great, but I don't know how to. Will look at it later.

> Which kernel-omap? I guess the one from dmarlin? Are there restrictions
> one the kernel version that you know of? The EfikaMX (for Genesi)
> systems can not upgrade to a 2.6.32+ (required for f14) yet :-/ Maybe
> there are more similar issues for other boards?
I compiled kernel with smsc mac address patch because pandaboard choose
random address on every boot. But you are free to use any kernel rpm
which best suite your needs.

> These are quite specific for a PandaBoard. If you document this in the
> wiki, please mention that as well.
This is my config and I added it for example. There is also reference
dracut page. Main thing is to add root=dhcp to tell dracut where to find
root and smsc95xx.macaddr to set pandaboard mac address. But you should
really see dracut reference page.

> There is a nice reference on root-over-NFS in the Storage Guide:
> - http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/nfs-diskless-systems.html
As above I added my config for example.

About grubby and flash-kernel.
I reworked ubuntu's flash-kernel to fit fedora and patched grubby so
flash-kernel is executed by install-kernel script in grubby on every
kernel update if you set UPDATEDEFAULT=yes in /etc/sysconfig/kernel.

flash-kernel utility is used to create uboot boot script and copy
kernel/initrd to uboot boot partition. You could invoke it with
flash-kernel $(uname -r) to just copy kernel or flash-kernel
--update-bootscript to create new bootscript based on
/etc/sysconfig/uboot parametars. It work perfeclty for pandaboard
(omap4) but it have support for many platforms. It would be great if
someone test it on other platforms.

I also filled bug for grubby #715460.