[fedora-arm] rootfs creation going forward

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Jun 2 20:35:20 UTC 2011

So to date root filesystems have been created by a small bash script that sets
up a couple of things and uses yum to install into the new root then you tar
it all up. the yum repos used are defimed on the host system. its not very
repatable or controlled.

Attached is the script i used for making the xfce rootfs for the smartbook, i
then put the modules etc in place and tarred it all up.

All other parts of fedora's release engineering take in kickstarts and spit
out the output.  I think that for going forward we should look at using
appliance-creator  which is part of the appliance-tools package to create the
root filesystems. it will let us feed in kickstarts and help make it easier for
those at home to play.  anyone want to start taking a look at what we would
need to do?

Dennis