[fedora-arm] F15 package dependency graph

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Sat Jun 4 22:09:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 16:40 -0400, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jun 2011, Jon Masters wrote:
>
> > Oh, it can all be done :) I'm just curious what exists already. Perhaps
> > Dennis can help fill in some gaps here. Also, I know of at least one
> > script already I've pinged someone else about.
>
> umm -- in rpm-devel package, rpmgraph has been present for a
> long, long time

Thanks for the pointer. I actually didn't know about rpmgraph. I
probably should have, and now I do :) This gives the kind of data I am
looking for as a good starting point. I'd like to take all of the F15
packages and prepare some graphs to look at/discuss before Friday. In a
perfect world, we'd have dependency data on packages so we can exclude
non-bootstrap bits (functionality we don't need for bootstrap), but that
data isn't available, so we'll have to cull the graph a little manually.

One of the outcomes I would like to see from the ARM v7 bootstrap is
better documentation on new arch bringup for Fedora, since this is
unlikely the last time it'll happen in general. Graphing and determining
necessary orderings for rebuilding the universe is part of it. I'm also
curious what the mass-rebuild rel-eng efforts use to do ordering (not
quite the same problem but they must use something for this, Dennis?).

> pass it a pile of packages, and it produces the needed
> graphviz dot files, from which production of a .ps is trivial

I did this for some of the F13 packages and got quite a nice PDF. I
wanted to run this against all of the Seneca built packages but the
Panda I have root on stalled installing rpm-devel and I need to do some
other stuff now. But next week, I'll do some graphs for the current
packages (for interest) and some graphs based on current F15 arches. I
think the best thing to do is to take the minimal build root package set
for doing these, then we can discuss/cull out things not needed for
bootstrapping hardfp on F15. At least, I think this is useful.

Jon.