[fedora-arm] F15 package dependency graph

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Sun Jun 5 00:41:09 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 00:07 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Jon Masters <jcm at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> umm -- in rpm-devel package, rpmgraph has been present for a
> >> long, long time
> >
> > Thanks for the pointer. I actually didn't know about rpmgraph. I
> > probably should have, and now I do :) This gives the kind of data I am
> > looking for as a good starting point. I'd like to take all of the F15
> > packages and prepare some graphs to look at/discuss before Friday. In a
> > perfect world, we'd have dependency data on packages so we can exclude
> > non-bootstrap bits (functionality we don't need for bootstrap), but that
> > data isn't available, so we'll have to cull the graph a little manually.
> >
> > One of the outcomes I would like to see from the ARM v7 bootstrap is
> > better documentation on new arch bringup for Fedora, since this is
> > unlikely the last time it'll happen in general. Graphing and determining
> > necessary orderings for rebuilding the universe is part of it. I'm also
> > curious what the mass-rebuild rel-eng efforts use to do ordering (not
> > quite the same problem but they must use something for this, Dennis?).
>
> When I've asked about build ordering in the past I've got the response
> in that there isn't any (not answering for dennis here) and they
> basically build the core required bits and then set off the mass
> rebuild. The scripts they've used in the past are in the host-eng trac
> git so that should give you some more details.

Well, my question is motivated by two things:

1). We need to solve these problems for Fedora ARM. We might decide to
do a mass rebuild in the future if there's another new ABI at some point
in the future, and we need a generic way to do this for F-15.

2). I look at what Debian are doing with multi-arch and bootstrapping
and a little part of me feels embarrassed (caveat: it's not something
we're as concerned about, which is why we haven't done this). I do think
there's a lot of cool ideas out there we can learn from other distros.

> I'm also interested in some other central tools and scripts that would
> make it easier for secondary arches. It seems they all have useful
> tools that aren't generally available. Some ideas I've had or seen
> other secondary arches use are:

<snip>

Let's start documenting these. I'm a little tied up this weekend, but I
assume you'll be on IRC on Monday? I'd like to at least brainstorm and
dump out what we know before mid-week, so we've a chance to collate
useful data together for Friday's first v7hl hackathon.

Jon.