[fedora-arm] What is the best way to fix build issues with Fedora 13 RPMs?

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 18 20:13:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:15 PM, Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 06, 2011 at 02:45:15PM +0000, Niels de Vos wrote:
>
>> it looks like not all Fedora 13 packages can be build on ARM yet. For
>> some packages there have been tickets opened at the Trac instance:
>> - https://fedorahosted.org/arm/report/1
>>
>> I'd like to help out with building these packages, but am not a
>> 'proven packager' [1], so I can not fix the issues completely and rely
>
>> I'd like some advise on the best/efficient way forward. Any other
>> thoughts are also more than welcome!
>
> Submitting patches to Bugzilla is the recommended way for this.
>
>> Possibly I could request to become a proven packager [2], but I do not
>> know if fixing building ARM-packages is enough to get FESCo approve my
>> request.
>
> Even if you are a proven packager you should still ask the maintainer
> for approval of patches to avoid unwanted side-effects, but you can do
> the work to update the package. I do not know how much you already have
> contributed to Fedora to prove that you are a experienced packager. If
> you think it is not enough, you submit more patches using bugzilla for
> now and ask for provenpackager membership once you got more feedback
> from packagers or more patches accepted. In general helping to fix
> secondary arch build issues is a proper reason to become a proven
> packager.

That's more or less the plan I have at the moment. I'll file some more
BZ's and see if the patches get picked up.

> Btw. if there are packagers that agree to a patch you submitted but lack
> the time to update the package, you can ping me and I will help.
> Maybe this helps to speed up the patch approval. You might want to
> mention this possibility on the bug reports to get the packagers faster
> to agree. There are probably also other proven packagers here on the ARM
> list that will help with this.

That's very good to know. I'll likely come back on your offer, or
maybe I'll send an email at secondary at lists.fedoraproject.org to see
how other architectures handle it.

Many thanks for all the input,
Niels