[fedora-arm] armv7hl requirements

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu May 5 03:50:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 08:23 +1200, Michael Hope wrote:

> >> *). ARM VFP3 hardware floating point (h)
> >> *). ARM NEON Architecture
> >> *). Thumb2 interworking
>
> I don't think you have to anything explicit here.  Thumb-2 and ARM
> code interoperate just fine.
>
> >> *). Your suggestion here?
>
> *) Hard float.  Never worse than soft float, sometimes much better.

Note that hard float is implied by VFPv3, and by the subject being
"armv7hl". The intention is to use the aapcs-vfp binding but the only
real debate is whether to use the D16/32 option. That comes down to
whether we want to focus on really great A15 plus or be more inclusive
of various minimal ARMv7 systems that are already out there today.

Perhaps we need a matrix of known capabilities in v7 hardware. I guess
that's another wiki page I should create, starting with my Beagle, Panda
and Efika systems, but a pointer to AC100 specs would be cool (I found
various reviews on it, and wow it's pricey compared to e.g. Efika) :)

Jon.