[fedora-arm] armv7hl requirements

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:47:35 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM,  <omalleys at msu.edu> wrote:
> Quoting Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net>:

>>> ive started building some f15 rpms with hardfp
>>>
>>> i set in redhat-rpm-config
>>> -march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfpv3-d16  -mfloat-abi=hard -mthumb
>>>
>>> im using meego as a base to bootstrap, we will need to build a couple of
>>> times to get everything bootstrapped right with the full set of flags.
>>> meego dropped some things like selinux. im slowly making some progress. i
>>> want to get to having a fedora minimal buildroot by the end the week.
>>> though that might be a bit hard since gcc will take some time to compile.
>>
>> Does that mean we are skipping F14 alltogether? I'm not against the
>> idea, just curious. Anything that helps close the gap to primary distros
>> is a good thing. :)
>
> I don't think armv5 is skipping f14.

No definitely not skipping armv5 F-14. I'm working on it but having a
few issues. All help and assistance appreciated.

> It is probably a good idea to skip F14 for armv7 though and start off
> at least in the general ballpark of the mainline distro.

The armv7+hardfp would be hard for F-14 as it would need a lot of
patches to gcc etc. armv7+soft as we have now probably won't provide
massive improvements. Ultimately I think we'll end up with a arm5tel
for maximum hardware support as we have now, and then a arm7hl (plus
possibly thumb) for best performance on armv7 platforms.

> The rpm tweaks need to make it upstream though. :)

Correct, and it would be good to get this into there soon assuming the
above settings are what we all agree upon for v7 + hardfp for F-15.