[fedora-arm] armv7hl requirements

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:19:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan at bobich.net> wrote:

>>> I like this idea a lot too. It will speed up development. :)
>>>
>>> If the -main- development is done this way, then a final compile for
>>> the release is done on actual hardware with the actual toolchain, it
>>> would also meet the specs of the Fedora Project.  This is less
>>> frustrating to developers, and it should only require a 1 recompile
>>> since the build issues should be fixed.
>>
>> Ultimately anything compiled in koji that is not a scratch build could
>> conceivably become part of the final compose of the OS so there's no
>> way of telling what is dev and what is final. In reality once things
>> settle down all development should be done upstream in Fedora and
>> koji-shadow then just follows mainline.
>
> I didn't think this was a suggestion for the official build koji, was
> it? The point is that it is very hard to meaningfully troubleshoot a
> process that takes 3 days to fail on a 1.2GHz ARM, and then has to be
> re-started from scratch. The incremental progress becomes too painfully
> slow. But if we can get that 3 day process into a 3 hour process (e.g.
> I've only got about 4GHz worth of ARM cores, but about 40GHz worth of
> x86-64 cores), then the problem is at least transitioned from the realm
> of unworkable into the realm of slow.

Well there's nothing stopping people from doing that themselves.

I've tried QEMU emulation on an IBM x3850x5 I have at work with 64 2.8
ghz threads and 256 GB of RAM. Its still slower than the real arm
boxes.

> Once you know it builds and works, waiting for 3+ days so bad because at
> least you know something usable will come out of it.

Believe me I am painfully aware of that. I have got gcc to compile on
one of the ARM boxes in mock. Using koji on the same device it doesn't
compile and I have no idea why so its still not a guarantee it seems,
very unfortunately!